Feb 22, 2012

Save the Planet, Save Money – one piece of clothing at a time!

While preparing for my Money Smart afterschool workshops, I was researching some on-line examples of bartering, recycling, and auctions such as: Freecycle, Swap.com, and the big one you all know, eBay. When I stumbled across a website called ThredUp. Their tagline is “Where Mom’s like you buy, sell and share children’s clothing, toys and books online.”

I love this idea! First, it’s green – by passing on your children’s outgrown clothing and toys to others. Second, it’s a money saver for the buyer – you can purchase a box of clothes for as little as $9 + shipping. And, finally, for the seller, you can make a few bucks back on those expensive clothes that your children seem to outgrown before you can cut the tag off.
Over the years, I have used a local consignment shop for my own kids out grown clothing, which I would recommend if you are not into the on-line shopping experience.
My caveat: I have not used the web site as my “kids” are now teens and ThredUp only caters to 3 mo to size 20. But if I was looking to buy or sell my second hand children’s clothing, I would take a look at ThredUp and their Facebook page
A great money lesson for you and your kids: you don’t always have to buy NEW, sometimes second hand saves you money, time…and the planet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.