Nov 28, 2011

Rewards Galore

The other day, I was having coffee with a good friend at Panera and I used my Panera Club Card. I get points on my purchases and then, I receive rewards! Yippee! Who doesn’t love free stuff?!

“Do you have a rewards card?” I asked my friend as we sat down for a chat over coffee.

“Yes,” she said “but I keep forgetting to register it so I don’t use it.”

“Boy, are you missing out,” I tell her. “I got my pumpkin muffin for free with my points.”

I’ve discussed loyalty cards and their advantages with my teens. In some cases, we have a “family reward card” (Modells, CVS, Staples). For other stores, we each have our own loyalty cards so we don’t have to share the reward or take turns. For example, nobody wants to share their Red Mango rewards. My daughter registered her own Red Mango card and received a welcome reward of $5. As for me, I registered my Starbucks card and received a free birthday drink.

But, I’ve told my teens that while getting free stuff is great, there is a downside. The stores want to entice you to spend more and often. We’ve discussed only applying for loyalty cards if they are free and you shop at the store regularly anyway – rewards or not. I’ve told them to beware of buying more stuff than you need, just for the “points.”

Free loyalty cards are the best. However, some cards that you pay for may be worth it if you calculate the rewards outweigh the annual fee. For example, at Game Stop my son pays for the premium rewards card because it comes with a monthly gaming magazine that he enjoys. (Yes, he pays from his allowance!)

There is good and bad news with all the “junk” email you get when you register your loyalty card. You may get flooded with too many emails…but you also receive coupons and early sale info. My teens see me using my coupons (Staples Ink Rewards are great) and stocking up when there is a sale.

So during your holiday shopping, make sure you and your kids use your loyalty cards to build up points (remember to stay on budget), get sale info, and print out coupons. It’s a great lesson on smart shopping techniques. And, like I said…who doesn’t like free stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.